As technology advances businesses are able to gather more and more information about their customers with lower costs involved. But data is not everything. It will just waste your HDDs’ space if not used to improve the experience of using your service.
Abandoned cart emails seem like an obvious option. However, how do you make it happen if most solutions only gather aggregated data for your website? Well, two mastodons of internet marketing have a solution for you.
Omniture SiteCatalyst and Responsys are collaborating to deliver timely remarketing emails to your customers.
There are couple layers in this process:
- Gather data
- Setup campaign with dynamic content
- Send out an email using programs
Firstly we need to import all the necessary data into OMTR. In order to enable DYNAMIC sending we will need:
- Setup Omniture Properly – Responsys integration. There is a detailed instruction on “how to” in Responsys help center. It’s pretty straightforward so we will skip this part in this article.
The part of integration which is particularly interesting for us is Omniture Genesis Remarketing data import (See screenshot below).
This step will allow us to import behavioral data into a Responsys data table to use later in our email program.
- Setup data feed from your website/backend, with the information about current prices, offers, pictures i.e. everything that should be pulled in order to send an email to a person who showed interest in a particular product/category.
*NB: make sure that both systems has the same uniqueID to track your customers. We will need this key to link data when sending email campaigns.
Setup campaign with dynamic content
1) Create a creative making so that you will be able dynamically populate pictures from your supplemental table into your email.
2) Make sure Omniture is among your data providers in account settings.
3) Create a campaign for those who are in the list created by OMTR data feed.
4) Create dynamic content and link it with the data from OMTR feed (i.e. if visitor N visited 3 product pages and most time was spent on 2nd, then send him campaign with product from 2nd page at the very top).
Send out an email using programs
When you setup all the rules all you need to do is to setup the program. The easiest schema will be:
After this is done, start playing with the message, time of activation and other parameters.
If everything is setup correctly you will have created the following guidelines:
1) Customer comes to the website, look through different products.
2) If a customer is repeat you only track her behavior, if not – ask her to leave an email when she is ready to leave the website.
3) Data of the visitor is passed to OMTR and from there data is imported into Responsys. (Customer is activated in the program).
4) In next predetermined set of hours the visitor is sent an email in which the campaign identifies the pages which were visited and populates relevant data from the supplemental table.
5) The visitor gets an email with offers form relevant products.
The process itself is very complex and it can hardly be simplified even more. However, once setup it’s fully automatic and doesn’t require much attention except situations when tracking is changed or any other changes on the website are made.